ABOUT SOUTH SHORE COMMONS
South Shore Commons is a 60-unit, two-story permanent supportive housing development in Gary, IN. This project is the first supportive housing development in Northwest Indiana. This housing addresses the lack of affordable housing, especially for persons experiencing homelessness, in Gary.
Property Type: Permanent Supportive Housing
Total Number of Units: 60
• 1 bedroom / 1 bathroom — 48
• 2 bedroom / 1 bathroom — 12
• Private kitchens and bathrooms
• Community room
• Bike racks
• Garden area
• Security cameras at entrances
• Computer access for residents
1201 W. 20th Street
Gary, IN 46407
Phone: (219) 512-9129
Service Provider: Regional Mental Health Center
• Ledcor Construction, Inc.
• James Douglas Smith Architect, Inc.
Year Completed: 2013
• 9% LIHTC Equity — National Equity Fund, Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority
• HOME — City of Gary
• HOME — Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority
• AHP grant — Federal Home Loan Bank of Indiana
Project-based Subsidies: Project-based Section 8 and HUD Shelter Plus Care